Thursday, March 21, 2013

Tonght at WriteOn Joliet, the Unveiling of Snowbell

Kristina Skaggs, my co-leader at WriteOn Joliet, regularly schedules general topics, such as "candy," for members to develop into poetry, short stories, essays, etc. This month's topic was "pets," and after scrapping one piece, I realized had the perfect one already written.

Snowbell.

Several years ago, before I had broken contract with the small press and publication was pushed back a year, my publicist had suggested writing Snowbell's "real"story as a short story we could use for pre-publication readings.

Snowbell, as you recall, was the mysterious stray cat with the disabled neck that appeared on the Marchellis' doorstep one morning. Melissa's little brother Brian adopted the cat, which soon wove itself into Melissa's vampire dreams.

Although I did write the story as my publicist asked, her plan never materialized, especially since she was expecting a cuddly kitten story (hardly). So I copied Snowbell and presented it as my Christmas present to my family that year. Since then, we've toyed with the notion of using Snowbell as a loss leader, but again, we never fleshed out that concept.

So tonight, Snowbell will make its first official, outside of my family, public appearance to a mixed audience. Meaning some will have read Bryony, and some will have not. Their reactions will help me decided how best to place Snowbell; publicize it or scrap it, LOL.

So if you're a BryonySeries fan looking to temper your BryonySeries craving until we release Staked! in December--or simply someone interested in becoming involved with a writer's group--come on out tonight.

I have no idea what the other members have written regarding "pets," but I can assure you this: each piece will be unique, well-written, and with a perspective so fresh, it will send you dashing to your computer to write one of your own.

 

No comments: