Saturday, March 23, 2013

Ed Calkins (Finally) Gets His Due

A few years ago, while I was writing the early drafts of Staked! and handing it off a chapter at a time to my teens, Timothy accompanied us to the distribution center one night and drew back in surprise when Ed Calkins stopped him and said, "Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen you."

Timothy felt otherwise, as I'd depicted Ed so well, Timothy felt as if he'd been hanging out with him all along.

I've spent the better part of this weekend working on Staked!, the first time I've taken a really serious look at the manuscript in over three years, when I completed its working draft.

Until now, I'd forgotten the greatly expanded role Ed Calkins, Steward of Tara, assumes in the third BryonySeries book. Moreover, the fictional Ed Calkins really does resembles the "real" Ed Calkins, not just in appearance but in mannerisms, personality, and even dialogue.

However, I can't claim full credit for the last. On occasion, I'd call up Ed, get him rambling, and (with his knowledge), take notes. Most of Ed's dialogue in Bryony and large parts of it in both Visage and Staked! are Ed's actual words, creatively (and legally) taken out of context.

Oh, man, I'm having fun.

No comments: