Thursday, October 21, 2010

Breaking Bread

Last week I baked. It was one of those spur of the moment decisions. Armed with my 3 year old and spoon, we whipped up some magic. We created our very own recipe, Apple-Banana-Nut Bread. I made small loaves and as the house started smelling delicious, our mouths watered to taste the finished product. After I deduced it worthy enough to share, we did just that.

Lucas decorated just some plain, brown, lunch sacks and I selected the best loaves. Then the fun began. We took one to each friend he had met in the neighborhood. At each house we stayed longer than to drop a sack and we traded baking ideas and stories. At our final house, and coincidently at the end of the day, our neighbors welcomed us inside. As they oodled over the treat, the father said, "Wonderful, we finally break bread together! Here, have a beer."

Symbolically, the "breaking of bread" can mean several thing depending on which context is used. The most understood definition meaning: sharing a common meal together. I believe the father meant that we are comfortable enough neighbors now to share with each other what we have, without being asked upon. Never less, it always amazes me how the simple acts involving food can bring people together.

If you are interested in this recipe, look for it in Bryony's cookbook, 2011. I am donating original recipes to the cookbook, which is not-for-profit. I urge you to do the same. Proceeds are going towards, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, of Will and Grundy County, IL.

Sarah Stegall

No comments: