Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Living the Foppish Life

Here is the final piece of a four-part interview on foppery and dandyism. Sir Frederick Chook, a romantic, transcendentalistic, overly brainful fop, the author of FrillyShirt (http://www.frillyshirt.org/) and inventor of leopoard oil, talks about his favorite dandies, influences, and creative expression.

11) Any dandies worth emulating and why?

"I've introduced a feature to FrillyShirt recently, called the Public's Peacocks - accounting the lives and lessons of clotheshorses who took up the cause of the poor and downtrodden, in practical politics or otherwise. There's quite a lot of them to work with, surprisingly enough! But, even leaving politics aside, there are many fine foppish sorts who lived beautiful, inspiring lives. Oscar Wilde stands out, as he always does - for all his caustic wit and regrettable legal decisions, he was the most kind and tender man, and he wrote the most marvellous essays on the spiritual life.

12) Anyone else?

"For a more quiet, practical sort of fop, I greatly admire the American Transcendentalists. Henry David Thoreau, in particular, was one who lived, worked, created and dressed all according to his own ideal - designing his own suits for country walking and for his scientific pursuits. By way of an example local to my hometown, I'd point to the Patersons - a whole family of artists, designers and philanthropists, who not only brought Aestheticism to Melbourne, but who did much to lay the foundation for Australian art as it exists today. A marvellous clan, the subject of my own continuing research and writing - and not once have I seen any of them looking less than stunning.

13) "When did your love for the nineteenth century begin?

"I suppose it was around when I began my history degree. I was a vehement radical in those days, utterly dedicated to improving the common lot by political action. Gradually, I discovered my love for history in general, the wonderfully bizarre nineteenth century in particular. At the same time, I was introduced to some wonderful artists and writers - the Romantics, the Post-Impressionists... Joseph Beuys was a big one, too - whose work celebrated the art of life. Studying under the philosopher Freya Mathews, and by her being introduced to Kant and Schelling and to Taoist thought, was the next big step - redefined my concept of the self in nature, of morality, and all that jazz.

14) What does creative expression mean for the fop?

"That the same skills which help us live beautifully can help us live well, That understanding and celebrating who we are can help us understand and celebrate the world around us. Painting, prose, weaving, dance - all means by which we comprehend what cannot be expressed more simply. I mustn't waffle on too long, but essentially, to live artistically is to grapple with Life's Big Questions, to go beyond pure reason and pure science, to seek the truth in your every pursuit."

No comments: