Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Thank You, Tom Hernandez

Back in May, my WriteOn Joliet co-leader Tom Hernandez received devastating news and is now in the throes of the most challenging health issue of his life.

So, yes, I backlinked so you can read his blogs - because writers should never miss a marketing trick when it helps another writer.

As Tom began adjusting to the news, I encouraged him to use his talent at assembling twenty-six letters into poetry as a means for, not just updating family and friends or sharing his experiences, but for digging a trench through it - for himself and for anyone who stumbles on his signposts along the way.

Because here's the bad news. We will all walk that trail one day. Perhaps some of you reading this now are walking it yourself - or know someone who is.

So one of those first pieces Tom wrote is this poem. He sent me a draft, and I told him not to tweak it, that it was a perfect, and I wanted a framed copy.

Those weren't empty words. I really did want a framed copy, my own tangible signpost.

Yesterday, I received it. And it was more than framed. 

It was signed.

And I'm so awed, humble, grateful.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So tragically beautiful

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

On so many levels. :(

Stephen T. Saporta said...

Go on ahead and make me cry....

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

I think it already happened...