Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Brothers

A picture is worth a thousand words, the saying goes, but it also represents the culmination of thousands of moments together.

This photo was taken on a cold night in 2015 or 2016 as Timothy, Daniel, Rebekah, and I were crossing Sears parking lot to go into Louis Joliet Mall for who knows what reason.

Timothy was super tried last night and joked about how someone should carry him. So Daniel said, "Come on, older brother, I'll carry the load this time," and hoisted him onto his back and literally carried him through the parking lot and into the store.

Daniel recently received a promotion at work, and he's traveled quite a bit this summer. Timothy, who's traveled for work the last few years (minus the pandemic), helped Daniel navigate the world of booking plane tickets, packing suitcases, online check-ins, Ubers, etc.

Recently, they both had to travel for work on the same few days, from the same airport, at the same time, different flights, different destinations. So they left the house at the same time in the same Uber.

As parents, we want to give our kids the best in life. Years ago, I realized I could work to buy them the best of things. Or I could have six C/sections and work to raise good people who would have each other. 

Unfortunately, I didn't have the resources for both.

The latter is harder, I think. Working for things has a more linear cause and effect and a more sure payoff, I think.

The six C/sections were the easiest parts of growing the family. As much as one encourages sibling bonding, no family looks like a Norman Rockwell piece of art.

In fact, the day-to-day squabbling can unravel all that patient stitching together of family ties that, over time, can turn into rifts that are difficult to mend.

Still, I chose people over things. And I've never been sorry.




No comments: