Thursday, June 24, 2021

I'm a Terrible Social Media Friend

By "social media friend" I mean I'm fairly absent on social media for most of the day in terms of chatting and commenting and posting clever/witty/meaningful posts.

That's not to say I'm completely absent on social media.

Now if you go to my Twitter feeds, you'll see my Herald-News stories at @Denise_Unland61 and BryonySeries-related information at @BryonySeries - although I occasionally mix and match those posts.

On the first feed, I post a Bible verse (to show who I am as a person) and the other I post a picture of coffee on mouspad (to show who I am as a writer)

But these are for people who want to see this information and I take the time every day to ensure it's there. 

That's not you? Keep scrolling.

I'm probably even more absent on Facebook. I keep my BryonySeries page active and post a Bible verse and my blog, share a virtual cup of coffee early in the morning, and send birthday wishes to connections.

Now I do check into social media intermittently during the day. But I'm mostly absent. For these reasons, I'm a terribble social media friend.

So what am I doing instead of hanging out on social media?

Well, I'm writing. And writing takes time. LOTS of time.

I'm also editing, and I'm also trying to improve my craft. That, too, takes time.

I write feature stories to share information and inspiration to the local community. That's my full-time job.

I write fiction to entertain a very different set of readers. That's my weekend project project.

I engage with my family: in person, over the phone, via text, a little over social media.

I engage with friends, co-workers, and the community, mostly over the phone and via text, but (hopefully) more in person after the second COVID-19 shot.

Well, since I'm a writer, should I be supporting local writers?

I try.

I engage a little on Twitter. I co-lead a writer's group with Tom Hernandez and I attend as many Zoom meetings of the 5 a.m.writer's club as I can possible make (since I'm CST and those meetings are at 4 a.m.).

I share interesting/informative industry/craft articles as I encounter them.

But I also read their books, which is a lot different than simply buying their books. Sometimes I review them in a newlsetter I started for The Herald-News a few years ago to help promote other authors. That's my way of giving support.

And a careful reading of a book takes time - as does a review. 

Actually reading what a writer has written and then sharing my thoughts with others takes way more time than a social media post. Both have value, don't get me wrong. 

But I hope, at the end of the day, other writers are happier I read their words than Tweeted them back and forth all day long.

And don't even get me started on Instagram, which has several years of posts from Bertrand the Mouse.

But not lately. Because he's lost.

And until he's found or reincarnated, he really can't post anymore pictures or comment on anyone's feed, can he?

So although I'm a terrible social media friend, I do try to be a good friend. And I really amy trying to improve my social media engagment.

And if I'm slow to responding, please know I always do (unless a post really gets buried), and that I will reply soon.




No comments: