Monday, September 28, 2026

RECAP: BryonySeries at FAME (With Two Cute Mouse Tales)

BryonySeries was part of the Joliet Public Library's FAME (Fandom, Arts, and Music Expo) on Sept. 12.

The free, family-friendly mini-convention featured nearly 50 Chicagoland artists, along with cosplay content, cosplay karaoke, artist panels, character meet-and-greets, games, contests and other pop culture fun.

We sold seven books, adopted a few mice, and came home with two cute "mouse tales" to tell. I still haven't told Cindy (the creator of the mice). But I will, soon.


See these adorable mice at the photo on the bottom? The photo is from "Plants, Paws, and Pages" on Sept. 6 because my only FAME photo is the one above.

We didn't know it at the time, but a few mishaps led to the adoption of two mice and two cute tales to tell.

The first mishap happened while moving product and supplies out of the parking deck.

One box completely gave way, scattering assorted items everywhere.

Rebekah asked me to carry on, unload what I had, and return with an intact box while she waited.

Outside the library, a woman and her little boy sat on a bench, presumably waiting for a ride. I asked his age, and she said, "Two." 

I'm sure you know where this is leading.

"Does he like books?"

"He loves books!"

So I dug out a copy of "Bertrand's Silly ABC Book" and handed it to the little boy. 

Mom was especially thrilled as she was currently working with him on his ABCs. And they dove into the book.

No, I did not give him a mouse. The mice were in the parking deck and "giving away"  and especially "sellling" mice wasn't my rule. 

You see, you can't adopt a mouse unless you buy $15-ish in books.That translates to one novel or two children's books. 

Eventually, both Rebekah and I made it upstairs. The space was small and tucked into a corner. So now we needed different shelving. Rebekah called Daniel and asked him to bring the shelves.

Then the vendor to our left (Broastful Illustrations) from whom I bought some stunning fish stickers, said the vendor on her left wasn't coming; did we want that spot? 

So we and the vendor to our right helped her move her very full, already set-up table.

That left us one tablecloth short. So Rebekah called Daniel, but he'd already left.

But the vendor on our right (Workman Art), who was still setting up his amazing artwork, lent us a tablecloth. That's why our tablecothes don't match.

His daughter (13) was very business-savvy and sold us no small number of stickers and buttons.

She also wanted a mouse. But she did not want a book. So no mouse for her!

However, a customer later into the event bought two books but declined a mouse.

So we explained the process to her, and she invited the girl to pick out a mouse. She was thrilled.

Now her litle brother, who was about 10, also wanted a mouse.

He begged his father to buy two books. His father said no.

He wheedled, same answer.

At the end of the event, the boy walked up to me and offered to help us pack up.

"Are you trying to earn a mouse?" I asked.

"No." He paused. "Yes."

"We don't need help," I told him.

Rebekah pulled me to the side. "Give him a mouse."

"No. Rules are rules." I kept packing.

Then Rebekah asked me, "Are you paying for that ABC book you gave to the boy?"

I thought a moment. "Sure, I can pay for it."

So she picked out a "Bertrand's Shakespeare ABC" book because of the wonderful artwork and paid for it. She gave it to the boy and told him to pick out a mouse.

His face lit up unlike anything I've seen in a very long time.

And he happily picked out a mouse. 

Then he looked up Rebekah and asked, "Can I hug you?"

They gave each other a big hug. I wish I had taken a photo to show the joy on their faces.

But the moment was fleeting, and my hands were full.

Not as full as our hearts, though.



No comments: