Monday, May 15, 2023

Joy in the Details

When walking through Walmart with Rebekah one day, I reiterated my standard, "No gifts, no Mother's Day brunch" tagline I utter every year around this time.

My reasoning is that money is tight, everyone works hard, and we do so much for each other the rest of the year. So my Mother's Day wish is that we all rest.

It didn't turn out that way, but that's OK and not the topic of this post.

Now as we're walking through the store, Rebekah said she was planning to get me a pop-up card for Mother's Day.

If you're as old as I am, a "pop-up card" is one where a figure unfolds and stands when you open the card.

But the pop-up card Rebekah had in mind resembles a diorama and the miniature shadow boxes my godmother used to make and sell.

We walked past one such display, and I fell in love with one of the cards, getting close to it and examining all its intricacies. 

Rebekah immediately scooped it up and set it in the card. She joked to people over the next few weeks on how I picked out my Mother's Day card.

Six photos of the details follows.

So here's the point of the post.

We're always cautioned not to miss the forest for the trees. But sometimes each tree is breathtakingly lovely. And we forget to see the trees for the forest.

In a day of challenges, we might not notice pockets of beauty and joy.

So I hope you see them today and that they bring a touch of magic to your life.














2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each tiny section of the card has a bit of whimsy---all you have to do is take the time to really "look" and ๐Ÿ˜‰

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

That's exactly it! :)