Monday, December 21, 2020

The Evolution of One Simple Flyer (And a Tour of My Space)

Good Monday morning!

I am back with another spammy promotion of my BryonySeries/The Book Market Holiday Book Sale.

Late Friday afternoon, Rebekah decided to design a flyer to go with the promotion. She did several versions and then showed them to Timothy.

Timothy, who had to design weekly menus at a previous job, got in the game later that night. Each version you see on my bedroom floor probably underwent no less than thirty tweaks in terms of layout, selection of graphics, font size, font shape, font shading, font color, the view on black and white versus color, and so forth.

Now a quick view of my room. Behind me is an antique dresser that belonged to my maternal grandmother, who died suddenly when I had just turned seven. I used to sleep in the double bed with her in a very small bedroom in their two-family bungalow on the southside of Chicago. That room had just enough space for the bed and that dresser.

To the right is a lamp with shelves for my books from Timothy. The bed is simple and monastic. Daniel bought the metal frame ($50 from Amazon) a couple years ago to get me off the floor. The mattress is new, as the old one had fallen apart right before the pandemic, so I'd been sleeping on an air mattress.

Everything on the bed are gifts from my kids: from the pillows to the quilts to the mattress covers. The two exceptions are the quilt with the fringe and the Bible verse (from my grandson Ezekiel) and the white quilt with the cat prints (a gift from Jasmine), which the cats, of course, have claimed.

In front of the bed is potting soil and a large planter for Chloe "Lucky" Hawk, my office plant (gift from a job shadower a few years ago), the only plant that has stayed alive under my care. Timothy bought all these gifts for Chloe, and he will transplant her - again - when he has a few moments and isn't designing flyers.

Chloe is sitting on top of my fake fireplace (a gift from Timothy last year), which is always on at night and in the early morning. Next to Chloe is all the artwork for Ed Calkins' upcoming novel "Ruthless," was still not scanned into my computer as of Friday night. Ed's wife Nancy created the cover and did all the interior artwork, too. She doesn't want any credit, saying it's all Ed's project. I'm ignoring her and giving her lots of credit.

The antique dresser next to the fireplace belonged to Ron's mother, who died a year before I met Ron. That dresser and the tall one across from it are two pieces I kept when we lost our home in Channahon after Ron lost his job due to dementia. 

The tall dresser was sitting under the attic stairs when we moved into the home and has been glued back together many times. Some of the items on top of it include two antique tea cups (gifts from Timothy and Sue Midlock), two different purple roses (gifts from Cindy and Jasmine), rose pot pourri (gift from Rebekah), and a handmade BryonySeries music box that plays real music (although not the "Bryony" theme), which was a gift from BryonySeries artist Christopher Gleason.

The tray below the dresser contains items from my bedroom in Channahon because I haven't figured out where to display them (yet).

On the dresser next to the fireplace I am burning new incense (gift from Timothy) and displaying the beautiful little tree (gift from Joshua and Timothy).

Next to the dresser by the little closet is a nightstand (gift from Daniel) that I'm using for work paperwork, my office files, and my mailings. Next to that is a laundry hamper (gift from Rebekah, who offered to do my laundry with hers back in 2013 when we lost the house and has continued to do so ever since, even folding it and putting it away).

The computer set up, including desk, larger screen, and desk lamp, along with the bookshelves to the left are all gifts from Timothy, who is sitting at the computer, back to the camera, working on the flyer. On the day we moved, I went to work. He bought the desk, assembled the desk, and set up my computer, printer, and entire office area before any other items were brought into the townhome.

By the desk lamp is a clear bulb ornament with a battery operated tealight from St. Nicholas one year. The battery finally died. Timothy bought me a new one.

Above the computer and to the left is a good deal of the artwork local artists have created for my series. Timothy has framed quite a bit of them and hung them on the walls. A stack of artwork is still stacked on my grandmother's dresser, ready for hanging.

The organizer hanging off the door is a gift from Rebekah, who has even bought organizers for my drawers, too. 

The little stuffed Woodstock on the carpet was St. Nicholas' gift to me one year. But Faith, my calico claimed it, and she drags it all over the place. My royal blue St. Nicholas stocking hanging off the door knob was a gift from Ron. It's a little bedragged, but I don't have it in my heart to replace it.

What you can't hear is that Christmas music is playing in the background from the new speakers that Timothy just bought me because the wires on the old speakers he had bought me weren't working right. And he installed them, too.

What you also can't see is all the hard work Rebekah has put into formatting and reformatting books this year past year and the work she's put in designing a second website for me since I've done some editing projects for clients this year.

While Timothy was working on the flyer, he commented on how cozy the room was. Well, how can it not be? It's filled with reminders of love everywhere you look. I spend the majority of time in this space, including most of 2020.

I'll post the flyer tomorrow in another spammy post.

In the meantime, you can access the details about the BryonySeries/The Book Market Holiday Book Sale by visiting bryonyseries.com/promotions.








No comments: