Thursday, December 31, 2020

Remember the Old Good News/Bad News Jokes? Well...

If you do, you'll understand this post right away.

If you don't, I'm going to introduce you to them with this post.

Now all the facts are true. I'm just telling them to you in a different way.

It all started on Tuesday night when Timothy texted me. One of the older workers at our complex was out snow blowing. It was about thirteen hours after he'd been at our townhome installing a new dishwasher (ours broke down a week ago, yes before Christmas).

Around 9:30 p.m., I went downstairs for some water to take with my medicine. Here we go.


Me: So I stopped by the picture window to check on him, you know, to be sure he was OK.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No it's not. When I turned away from the window, I caught my right pinkie toe on a box. The toe went one way, and I went another.

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, It's not. It really didn't hurt so I hobbled to the kitchen to ice it right away, just in case, to prevent swelling.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. As soon as the ice touched my toe, the zero pain went to thirty on a scale of one to ten!

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, it isn't. I've done this to my pinky toes more than once over the years: I'm running to catch a rebellious toddler, or I'm rushing into a room to get ready for work. I know the signs of a sprained toe and how to buddy tape it.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. I can't do a proper job of buddy taping by myself.

You: That's terrible.

Me: No, it's not. Rebekah lives with me, and she is very good at buddy taping.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. She was hanging out next door with Timothy, and my phone was upstairs, forty-four miles away from the kitchen.

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, it's not. I was able to hobble upstairs and call her. She came home right away.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No it's not. I kept catching the tape on the blankets all night, and the resulting pain would wake me up.

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, it's not. By morning, the toe didn't hurt at all.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. I had so much numbness in the buddy toe that I was concerned about its circulation. Also, I had numbness and tingling in about half my foot. It didn't feel like a simple sprain.

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, it's not. We kept an eye on it and decided to go to quick care right after lunch. Timothy had no problem taking me and kept distracting me with talks of buying a new car all the way out to Minooka.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. I have a phobia of having my blood pressure being taken. I flip out just by being in the same room as a blood pressure cuff. Plus, it's the holidays, and we're in the middle of a pandemic and flu season. The last place I want to go is quick care.

You: That's terrible.

Me: No, it's not. The waiting room was empty, and I was taken to a room in less than five minutes.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. The certified nurse assistant immediately started taking my blood pressure, and the nurse started asking me questions, so I couldn't practice my relaxation techniques. I did warn the CNA that I'm "white coat extraordinaire."

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, it's not. The CNA simply kept taking my blood pressure until she got a normal reading. She inspired so much confidence in me that I immediately relaxed and stayed that way.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. I quickly went to X-ray where a second technician had to hold my toe waaay apart from the rest of my toes to get the proper imaging. It HURT!

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, it's not. The X-ray showed only a sprain. The nurse practitioner said someone would call if the radiologist saw a break. I was re-buddy-taped and out the door in less than an hour for the total visit.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. When I got to the car, Timothy told me he had done a "silly thing." Always frugal, Timothy had shut the car off to save gas. But he had forgotten to turn off the headlights. The battery on the car had died, and it was cold and windy outside.

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, it's not. He called a brother in Morris who's very good with cars, The brother came out immediately to jump the battery.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. This brother has a medical note because he gets claustrophobia wearing a facemask. And he got in the car with me a couple of times.

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, it's not. I had my facemask on, and he didn't stay long, just to check gauges. He offered to help Timothy buy a battery at an auto supply store and change it on the spot. The battery that died was the original one with the vehicle, so it's five years old.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. The cheapest battery for that car cost more than going to shop for a better battery and installation.

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, it isn't. The "jumped" charge lasted all the way home, and Timothy paid his older brother for his time and expertise.

You: Aw, that's wonderful!

Me: No, it's not. The brother is broke and wasted the money on lobster. In the meantime, quick care called back and said the toe was fractured at the base.

You: That's terrible!

Me: No, it's not. We got safely home due to the brother's generosity. When Timothy took the battery to the shop, the mechanic couldn't believe Timothy had been driving it. He said the battery was one hundred percent completely dead. So the mechanic quickly installed the new battery. The battery and installation cost less than the cheap battery at the parts store, and no one had to crawl around on the cold ground to install it.

You: That's wonderful!

Me: It really was.


This is why yesterday was a wonderful day.

I still felt good about checking on an older person who was outside in the cold, windy, snowy night with a snowblower, even if it cost me a broken toe in the process

I had the opportunity to face my fear about blood pressures - and I had a determined CNA who believed me and saw for herself how the BP eventually came down.

Timothy didn't get stuck in a terrible place with a battery that would have eventually died anyway. And another brother got to feel good about himself to help (and wound up with a lobster dinner).

Now here's another blessing.

You see, I have this list of miscellaneous projects I'd rather not carrying into 2021. Except I've spent a lot of time with my family this Christmas vacation (which I wanted to do and should do), and my time is running out for getting these projects done.

Well, between the snow and the toe fracture, I won't be talking ten miles a day this week, that's for sure. So just like that, the walking time has turned into project time. Isn't that marvelous how things work out after all?

Finally, I supposed you're wondering what my calico Faith has to do with this post.

The answer to that is - nothing. She jumped up on my lap while I was attempting to write this blog.







No comments: