Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Christmas 2020 Film Festival

For some people, a cherished part of Christmas/holiday season is watching and rewatching the old holiday favorites.

For me, these TV specials and movies were part of my childhood - and there's still a few classics I've yet to see. But none of them were part of my adulthood.

How can that be, you may wonder.

Well, when I was a stay-at-home mom when my oldest children were young and before the advent of home VHS, you could only catch them on TV. And my children's father wouldn't give up his shows for children's Christmas specials. 

But by the time we had home VHS, I had three children under five. So I could pop in a VHS for them to watch while I caught up on housework.

As they grew, God blessed us with three more children. By the time number four arrived, I was already a homeschooling mom. Now anyone who's had a house filled with children and has home-schooled knows there's always one child (not always the same child) who doesn't get his or or her work done, with reasons ranging from overall slothfulness to not grasping the concepts.

So I would spend extra time to make sure the work was grasped and completed. And then I caught up on housework while the kids watched holiday specials. Next year, I would tell myself.

Then I became a single mom and worked two jobs (and for a short time, three jobs). Then I became a married mom who worked two jobs, as did my husband Rob. Then we became a home-schooling family again. You can do the math: two parents plus four jobs taking care of six kids equals little free time.

Those were glorious years, by the way. And they passed very quickly. Watching holiday films was not on my top any number of list things to do.

We were talking about this the other day. Somehow, my kids have memories of me watching with them, most likely because I popped in and out of the room on the way to another room and sat for a few minutes.

But to sit down and watch an entire Christmas show or movie? Nope!

This year I have the time and no family get-togethers, which sounds dismal, right? 

Quick rabbit trail.

Remember back in the 1970s (well, maybe not, if you're a young person reading this blog), when people proclaimed that women could have it all? Well, I believe anyone can "have it all," although the right time for "all" is often not in the same time frame.

Scripture says "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens." And that is true with our lives.

I've had big traditional Christmases, new calendar Christmases, old calendar Christmases, Christmases full of cooking, and baking, and gift buy, and gift wrapping, and running around town to visit family and friends.

I've had two-parents Christmases and single parent Christmases, and house filled with people Christmases. I've had Christmases where work usurped our traditions. And last Christmas morning, I walked a hot chocolate and my little Christmas tree to AMITA Health Saint Joseph Medical Center in Joliet where a friend from high school with lung cancer was spending Christmas. This year, that same friend is spending Christmas in heaven.

This year, we'll be "zooming" part of our Christmas. 

Also this year, I'm catching up on Christmas movies.

Here's my roster:

Wednesday night: It's a Wonderful Night.

Thursday night: Alastair Sims' A Christmas Carol (my favorite version).

Friday throughout the day: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Little Drummer Boy, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and (if I can find it) Charlie Brown Christmas. (all favorites from my childhood).

Saturday: Reginald Owens' "Scrooge."

Sunday night: Not sure. I do have a virtual Christmas party with the 5 a.m. writers group that sounds waaaay more put together than anything I did for WriteOn Joliet. Time for me to get my act together.

The rest of the time between then and January 2: I have seen none of these (although I've seen part of the second and clips of the third).

White Christmas

Christmas in Connecticut

Miracle on 34th Street

And everything I didn't watch on the original list before I ran out of time (see above).

By the way, I'm running a special promotion on BryonySeries books in order to help out The Book Market in Crest Hill. 

I've already sent the first batches of coupons (THANK YOU to all who supported this special sale). Find details here: bryonyseries.com/promotions.

You thought I'd forgotten to spam you today, didn't you?

Photo by Timothy Baran



No comments: