Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo 2012 Day #1

Last year, I began working on Bryony's prequel, Before the Blood, with high intentions of devoting myself to one chapter a day (It has forty chapters, plus a prologue and epilogue), thereby extending NaNoWriMo 2011 into mid-December.

Then a freak cat bite waylaid those plans. Details of it HERE.

Needless to say, amongst daily life, work, the usual family drama, some unusual family crises, getting Visage ready for publication, and Bryony appearances, I have not looked at Before the Blood again until last night. I was amazed at how far I actually did get, at least in the beginning.

This year, I've modified last year's agenda. I'm extending NaNoWriMo until the end of 2012. This way, I can allow for the aforementioned items, seasonal holidays, and one or two challenges I have not considered or figured into my overall scheme.

My goal, however, remains the same. I'd like to create a nice working first draft of Before the Blood before turning my attention to editing Staked! the third book in the BryonySeries. I'm filling in some of the outlining already in place and creating a homework page for each chapter (additional research, description, places I'm stuck, plot holes, etc) to tackle in pieces over the next few months.

Once Staked! is in the hands of its editors, I will again turn my attention to Before the Blood and see if I can turn my working first draft into a shaped-up second draft. Hopefully, I will get it ready for editing during NaNoWriMo 2013.

Here's a roundup of today's progress:

Prologue: Five homework assignments (inluding the reading of one novel). Word count is 465.

Chapter One: Fifteen homework assignments. Word count is 2008.
 

No comments: