Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Not Quite the Home Stretch, but Getting There: "Visage" Update

Last night, I arrived home from a fundraising meeting at the Three Rivers Arts Council in Minooka happily clutching a cardboard box containg a single manuscript: mine.

One of the professional writers in TRAC's WriteOn! writer's group completed a very thorough assessment/editorial review on Visage and that, along with my editor's notes, will comprise the basis for one final, focused round of editing before the novel goes to design.

I must confess, I'm quite excited!!!

After a quick skim through twenty-two pages of notes (in addition to the red-penned "changes" directly on the manuscript), I hit the sack, but this morning, immediately after feeding the cats and pouring cup of coffee number one, I was carefully re-reading those notes and scheduling time to begin implementing the suggestions/corrections, for there are nearly five hundred of them (again, not including what's only on the manuscript and not in the notes).

For anyone unfamilar with the editing process who might be tempted to cry, "Foul!" let me say no one is requesting I change the story. Most of the changes address plot holes, grammar and punctuation faux pas, and the clarification of vague points.

Furthermore, when she returned my manuscript to me, she said it was "pretty clean." That means, relatively speaking, it contained few errors. Five hundred may seem lilke a lot, but I can assure you, in the course of some 130,000 words, it is not.

On another note: We are also hard at work with the illustrations for Visage. Online administrator Sarah Stegall loves to post "sneak peeks" of drawings and covers, so if you'd like a looksie when she does post, be sure to fan our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/BryonySeries.

No comments: