Monday, August 27, 2012

"Visage" Copyediting Completed, But....

....still facing more work on the manuscript before it is ready for design. When I complete that, I'll give it another read to ensure that, while inserting those changes, I've not wittingly inserted typos. A quick peek at my notes reveals about thirty items remaining on my Visage chore list.

Among those items (staying clear of spoilers) are:

   *  finding all unnecessary "being" verbs and replacing them with strong action verbs

   *  strengthening character descriptions and plotlines

   * expounding on subtle references that are too subtle

   *  adding particular conversations to move plot forward

   *  correcting "factual" errors of time period and storyline

   *  doublechecking timeline, geography, and the spelling of certain names

When I've completed the above tasks, I'll select random chapters to check for smooth writing and the elimination of any lingering mistakes. Afterwards, I'll do some initial formatting, and then send the manuscript to book design.

A long weekend approaches with the Labor Day holiday, so I'm hoping for a productive work week, which I'll follow with a marathon fiction weekend. My goal is to finish my portion of Visage before the end of September.

However, I won't be abandoning fiction at this point. I'm hoping to jumpstart National Novel Writing Month (National Novel Writing Two months, perhaps?) and produce a working draft for Bryony's prequel, Before the Blood.

If that's not possible, I'd like to shape Bryony's third book, Staked! into editor-ready copy by Thanksgiving and spend most of 2013 writing the first draft of Before the Blood.

At least, those are the plans from Monday's vantage point.

  

 

No comments: