Sunday, November 28, 2010

In the Throes of the Writing Desert

Most days, except Sundays when I'm too busy rolling newspapers for delivery, the daily Bryony is written and posted by two a.m. Today, however, I am coming up dry.

I've talked to friends, read some material, perused the internet, and listened to music, but inspiration is far away.

Now, I'm not completely dry. While waiting for the trucks, I wrote a piece on bull mastiffs for the newspaper and a press release about doulas for a hospital. However, there's a world of difference between an assigned piece and one I dream up as I go.

While sitting here staring at the blank "new post" when I should be grocery shopping, my publicist unexpectedly calls, and she's very excited about some ideas she's been developing. "I have sticky notes everywhere," she said.

We talk for half an hour or so, but I'm still dry. Nevertheless, I'm cheered by her excitement over the Bryony project and the possiblities it is creating for me and other artists. Tomorrow, I probably won't be dry, but for today, I take heart that my past creativity is opening up opportunities and remain confident that my muse is simply taking a nap and will rejoin me later.

No comments: