Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Drawing Board

Magical things happens with Kathleen Rose Van Pelt of Imaginary Lines Studio (http://www.imaginarylinesstudio.com/) picks up a pen. She created gorgeous cover and interior art for Bryony with the extraordinary talent she developed many years ago. Below is the first of a three-part interview with this gifted artist.

1) How did you start drawing?

"I don't remember ever not drawing! I was one of those kids that doodled all the time. One of the first things I remember drawing was in first grade, we were given a plain piece of white paper and told we could draw anything!!! That didn't happen very often, normally it was just a run off sheet from a coloring book with a religious image on it to color in......I was always corrected by the nun that I colored too lightly.. Sorry I wandered.....(but I do have nun stories). The first image I remember drawing was Snoopy on top of his dog house, laying on his back with one long ear hanging over the side, and drawing his round belly and filling in his black nose. I also added his food bowl next to his house. Classic Snoopy! I like to think I did Charles Schultz proud. I was very much a Snoopy fan back then. Still like Snoopy."

2) What inspired you to draw?

"I really don't remember ever not liking or not wanting to draw. If there was paper and pencil, I was drawing something. In the third grade it got me a nice space in the corner. I was drawing a big owl and a little owl on a branch at the time and the nun wasn't into the art I guess, so I was told to go to the corner and stand..... that was only time I was ever told to go stand in the corner....Maybe the nun wasn't into art, can please every critic."

3) Why pen and ink?

"I started with pen and ink for a few reasons. It's very direct to work with, and unlike painting medium, no real dry time is needed. Plus, if you don't have a lot of work space or can't paint in a space because size or other reasons, ink is very quick, convenient, and cost efficient. If you are on a tight budget, ink is very affordable and goes a long way. For me, working with the ink just kept me drawing, especially during times I may not have because of lack of space or money or time, when working what many call a "real job". It is just a very portable way to keep working. My first love (medium) is oil, but because of some of the above fore mentioned, I started to work mostly with ink then adding spot color with water colors. Working with oils and ink are so different and I really enjoy both for what they are."

No comments: