Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Still of the Night

Many people feel sorry for me when they learn I rise at midnight (or thereabouts). Although the routine is consistent with our family occupation as newspaper carriers, it's also a marvelously creative time for composition and not just vampire stories.

Feature stories and press releases quickly spring from my fingers without the interuption of phone calls, e-mails, requests for homework help, and the little emergencies of daily life in a full household.

As I'm writing this and sipping coffee, my home is quiet (not a creature is stirring, not even cat, wait, the swinging door creaks, okay one cat). Some of my family is at the distribution center rolling papers; others, are sleeping and won't stir for a few hours. The garage light is the only beacon from my attic office window. So, who's the lucky one?

Peace and quiet. Ahhhh!

No comments: