Saturday, July 16, 2022

"Subject: Phone Call Duty List, " by Ed Calkins, Steward of Tara

I think many of us have found ourselves in similar situations, wouldn't you agree?

Enjoy this this humorous that puts the truth in a lighthearted way and written in Ed's "ruthless dictator" persona, which he's having trouble maintaining these days.


Dear MOMI,

              His Ruthlessness is having a problem of late that might seem trivial and easily remedied but in my state of insanity, this problem is a monster that keeps growing. I’m getting behind on my personal phone calls. I know what you’re about to tell me. “Pick up the phone and get started.” I can’t seem to do that, because phone calls to me are weird and creepy. What am I supposed to say when I call… what’s the polite thing?

              “Hello.” Right? But how is ‘hello’ ruthless? It’s not, which is weird for me and creepy. It’s like I pretending to be nice instead of truthful. What’s the point of calling anyone if you don’t tell the truth? In person, my face tells the truth and if I do say hello, it’s in an ironic way. The other creepy thing about calling is that I never do it unless I really feeling out of character and that happens only once or twice a month. Now comes the really creepy part. I’ve skipped feeling out of character for the last six months, which adds to the feeling of weird and creepy because now I don’t call for at least six months. But that’s only if my personal issues are keeping track. Who knows? Maybe now they expect me to never call.

              So, if you’re a ruthless dictator, what do you do about a person problem you can’t (or really don’t want to) solve? No Gladimir Putin, that’s not correct. You don’t invade another country. Stand in the conner for six years and don’t forget to wear your dunce cap. You can come out when you’ve made peace with both Ukrainian and your sexual preference. (A little hint here, it’s not just your boyfriends that are homosexual. Their boyfriend is too.)

              Sorry about that. Sorry too about outing the worse example of ‘gay’ that I can think of. Most gay dictators are much better human beings, and I don’t want to misrepresent gays, dictators, or their boyfriends. Dictators ask me for advice all the time, but do they listen…well they can’t really. I’m really bad at answering the phone. Anyway…

              What I was about to say is a truly ruthless dictator solves his personal problems by delegating them to underlings. Well, underlings, I have a job for you. Each of you has a phone call to make on my behalf. I’ll list who to call and what to say. You just pick one that seems right for you and follow my instructions on what to say.

1) My kid sister. She’s not a kid anymore. In fact, now she’s a grandmother but she’s still younger than me and somewhat of a brat. Anyway, the problem here is simple and should be resolved but her and me have a way of getting are wires crossed. She’s taking a vacation to New Buffalo and wants me to meet her there. In an email, she sent me the days, times, and location. What could be simpler. My kid sister has sent me emails before with days, times, and locations but always she gets one of those things wrong or changes her mind and forgets to tell me…like the time she hosted thanksgiving. I assumed ‘hosting’ meant at her house, not mine. You guessed it, we missed each other and the whole meal got cold in her car and the other guest she invited got tired of waiting. Anyway, please call her, tell her I love her, but make sure of the days, times, and location of her New Buffalo trip. Also, be sure of the State. We’re assuming Michigan here.

2) Denise Baran-Unland has be very busy lately, so I put off calling her and now I’ve forgotten why I need to call. Ok, that’s not completely true because I do remember that ‘if’ has become ‘what’. You see, I’m writing a novel again that she’s been drafted into editing (which is a much bigger job with me than anyone else.) Anyway, I’ve been sending her chapters until this stay-in-character thing started. The norm was, when I felt out of character, I’d email what I had written and give her a few days to read it. The thing is, I’ve waited so long to send or call that now the whole thing is just weird and creepy. I’m sure, the last time I talked to her, the new book Tu Ruthless was a sequel to Ruthless. Now it’s a prequel, sequel, dequel. Clearly the whole book is coming of the rails, and I need her to tell me if that’s a good thing. But before I can do that, I need to find out what was the last chapter I sent her. Also, I need to tell her that my wife and I are ready for Willow Fest where we have a booth to sell my wife’s paintings and my book Ruthless, but we also want to sell Denise’s books, too. I have to work out with her when to pick them up and what price to charge. If you call Denise for me, tell her I love her, express your gratitude (and mine), and promise to get back to her when I know what she hasn’t gotten yet.

3) I haven’t called my son is many months…so much so that I’m afraid a call from me will have him expecting that my wife Nancy must be died or dying. He’s very busy lately and I hate to call him at work. When he’s at work, he has to work very quickly, or he’ll never get home and he’s always working over-time. When they do let him go home, he’s devoured by his two kids, dog, and wife all hungry for his complete attention. If you call him, tell him I love him, and Nancy is fine. Also, listen to any problem he might have and let him vent his frustration for as long as work, kids, dog, and wife let him. The call should be under thirty seconds long.

4) Chris and Rita are two sisters that have been in my life since they were in high school, and I was in college. They were very good friends of mine and still are, except we haven’t talked to each other in almost thirty years…until a month ago. Scott, Chris’ husband, wanted to give Chris a special birthday gift and clandestinely got in touch with us, cleverly using the Xmas cards we’d send them every year. We met for dinner and talked two hours beyond the restaurant closing. Clearly, we don’t want to wait for another thirty years to reconnect. I need one of you to call her, tell her I love her and Scott, and ask for an email address where I can update them about all the reasons I don’t call.

5) My mother! I have a strained relationship with her, but I’m expected to call her weekly…it’s been six months. Someone needs to get on this right away. Be prepared for a lengthy lecture about how she gave her best years to raise me. When you do get a chance to talk, tell her I love her and that she’s right; I did ruin her life, but I’m very sorry. This call needs to happen once a week, but if you record your side of the conversation the first time, you’ll never need to talk again.

6) Tom is a very problematic one. It’s not a phone call really. If you don’t know who I mean by ‘Tom’ then don’t take this one. The problem here is more the message than the call. I need to convey a message of sympathy and encouragement in a limerick form. The problem there is…well, me. I only do ruthless limericks.

Tom is a man with the answer

Be ye poet, writer, or dancer

And I’m just a bloke

Who prays you don’t croak

While you’re going through treatment for cancer

 

I’m hoping one of you could modify that limerick to something less ruthless. It should tell him I love him and look forward to many years of his council or failing that will cry big tears at his funeral.

 

              Of course, there are more phone calls I need to make that aren’t as important. I have to tell my new boss I don’t work anymore, the government that starting next year they have to give me Medicare, Jury duty that I’m dead, and the advertising retail industry that I’m broke, but these things can wait until you guys get this important phone calls made. Just pick out one of these calls, pick up the phone, dial the number, talk, and the telephone me as to how it went.

              Wait…I sense a problem here.

              Forget the whole thing.

 

                             Ruthlessly yours,

                             Ed Calkins




1 comment:

Tom Hernandez said...

Thank you Ed. Your friendship means a lot to me.