Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Algorithms

Merrium-Webstersays defines algorithm as such: "The current term of choice for a problem-solving procedure, algorithm, is commonly used nowadays for the set of rules a machine (and especially a computer) follows to achieve a particular goal."

In social media, algorithims determine how posted content is sorted and what will appear in news feeds. This ranking system is necessary, based on the sheer amount of content that's delivered and the millions of people using social media.

Businesses pay attention to algorithims to allow readers to see their content and encourage engagement. 

Authors are encouraged to do likewise, to gain a following, so people read their posts, and (hopefully) buy their books. 

Again, I understand why this is necessary. 

Here's my big "however."

I'm probably in a minority when I say social media should be, in its very essence, very social. Even though I'm a fledgling author, my related social media pages are meant to be, again, very social. This means the content I post is meant to enhance the reader's experiences with my books.

So my posts on my BryonySeries acounts have an assumption that you either are familiar with my books and want to see additional, related content or that you are interested in the content and might discover I have some books to go along with it.

My personal social media accounts assume you simply want to interact with me. And like any good hostess, I like to provide a safe, fun, positive, uplifting experience. 

I don't "drive traffic" to my pages as if the people interacting with them were a herd of sheep. People deserve more respect than being a means to my end.

Last week, while catching up with some social media friends (and going directly and intentionally to their pages), I read one post by an author friend who's battled a bad case of COVID for more than a week, was feeling pretty miserable, and -get this - feared no one would even read her outcry because she was too sick to post regularly - which would affect the ranking of that post, allowing few to none to see it.

Reading those few words saddened me on a level I can't fully describe.

Obviously, we can't catch up every day with every person who follows us.

But every now and again, check in with someone that you follow ON PURPOSE, especially if you haven't read any posts in your feed in some time.

Don't be part of the social media noise. 

Be a real social media friend - and not a collector of followers.

Be someone who understands that real connection and engagement isn't possible when the conversation is only proceeding from your words and the number of comments the clever tweaking of your words received.

Be a real person in the void.






No comments: