Friday, January 11, 2019

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Jan. 6 through Jan. 11

So far, 2019 has been a year of new beginnings.

Also, so far, all of them are pretty exciting.

This month, I published the first installment of Before the Blood.

This week, I made some changes to the features section of The Herald-News which will start on Sunday.

Last night, I met with my WriteOn Joliet co-leader Tom Hernandez to plan out the group's year. I'm amazed at how much this group has grown (in members and scope), is still growing, and will grow in 2019. Lots of new initiatives on the horizon.

Currently, my werewolf story is "taking shape" within my mind. Some may say this doesn't count as writing, but it's part of the process for me, and I have the books to prove it.

This weekend, with Rebekah still on vacation and people out of the house (work and other adventures), I plan to use the time to tie up loose ends of projects shelved these last few months and make a plan for addressing those that need collaboration, a dusting off of my brain's shelves and making space for the new stuff.

Have a great weekend, readers, writers, and vampire fans!

Now, here's where to find information and after that, the stories. 

Non-bylined features:

Monday through Saturday I assembled my non-bylined works - brief posts and calendar listings - into one convenient file and posting them on Facebook in the evening, so readers can easily choose the ones they want to read.

One can also find those event listings, the Gotta Do It calendar, as well as the pets, health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars, under the sections tab on the left hand side of http://www.theherald-news.com/. Click on "features" and the topics drop down.  Gotta Do It runs under "people."

Community news? Again, under the sections tab, under features, and by topic. Updates are posted on these days in print and web (and some only on web on other days as I have the time): Monday (pets), Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (arts and entertainment), and Sunday (people).

 Social media:

Daily updates: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61.

BryonySeries stuff: I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries. And assorted related content at www.facebook.com/BryonySeries. And of course, please follow the adventures of Bertrand the Mouse on Instagram at bertrand_bryonyseries.

If you're a writer anywhere in the world, you're welcome to jon WriteOn Joliet's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/writeonminooka/?ref=bookmarks. We're based in Joliet, Illinois, but we love to meet and interact with writers outside our area, too.

Upcoming events:


Books and Such

Information on my books (including where to buy) along with upcoming events is at www.bryonyseries.com.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News. And for reading this blog. And if you've read (or plan to read) any of my books. Your support is greatly appreciated.


Creating change with her skills
Immersive learning experience solidifies career goals for Brooke Braun of Frankfort


 "I just think everyone has the opportunity to create change with their own set of skills," Braun said. "And I'd like to live by that with my own knowledge."

https://www.theherald-news.com/2018/12/24/creating-change-with-her-skills/a1jwrbe/


Romeoville man's stress buster has health benefits

Read on to find out what happened to him.

https://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/12/24/7e1ac8c8d2a545b0b8a613ae1426ce66/index.xml


Diving into the feast of Epiphany
All Saints Greek Orthodox Church in Joliet hosts event at YMCA pool

 Angela Thiakos of New Lenox said, ""It's so much better to have kids see it instead of showing them a video."

https://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2019/01/09/3e04316505664d06af078618d6f675d3/index.xml?page=1


Forest Preserve District of Will County hosts atypical exhibit
'Frida Kahlo's Garden' makes stop at Four Rivers Environmental Center in Channahon

Tina Riley, facility supervisor at Four Rivers Environmental Education Center, provides insight into this exhibit.




 Artworks: Joliet Central High School changed his life
Joliet 19-year-old studying music performance, hopes to mentor youth

"I feel the true power of what music can do is influence different people of different generations. It's another way of getting to know someone." Tyrique McNeal, 19, Joliet, NIU music performance major, said.




LocalLit author spotlight: Richard Krause of Sycamore

Krause said: "My personal cache of unpublished work runs the gamut from short stories to biographical sketches, essays, political satire, and social commentary. My most ambitious work-in-progress is a 400 page novel, written as a "spoof" of the detective/mystery genre."







Illustration by Matt Coundiff for "Visage." Follow him at www.facebook.com/artbymattcoundiff



No comments: