Tuesday, February 27, 2018

I Now Have a Real Bed

So let me explain.

Back in 2007, my husband's sleep apnea and REM sleep behavior disorder was so bad, I began sleeping with a sleeping bag on the floor of my office attic. Rebekah had the bedroom next to it. That eventually led to us becoming bunk mates, which has persisted longer than we anticipated, but everyone is moving forward, so here we are.

Because of the way the roof sloped, a regular bed did not fit, just the box spring and mattress, and we were fine with it. But when we lost our house and could only afford one small storage unit for four people, we made careful decisions on what to take and what to discard. The box springs, being old, didn't make the cut. The mattresses, fairly new, did.

During the nine months we stayed at our mother's, Rebekah and I shared the guest bedroom. It had one bed. I insisted she take it. I slept on the floor. Eventually, we recovered financially enough for the four of us to move into a two-bedroom apartment. We emptied the storage until and brought the mattresses home.

We are now in a two-bedroom townhouse with the same mattresses, which are still in pretty good shape, and Rebekah and I still share a room, at least until the end of this year. Now this post isn't about "woe is us" because we ain't feeling any woe. We are gradually recovering financially; we just make careful financial choices.

No, this post is to brag a bit about my sons, of whom both work two jobs and pay for school.

A few weeks ago, Timothy noticed that the mattress on Daniel's futon was in pretty sad shape. He found a decent one on sale and surprised him with it. This past week, Daniel passed the blessing onto Rebekah and me.

He found two bed frames online ($55 each) that also serve as box springs and bought them. On Saturday, he assembled them and couldn't wait to ask the next morning how Rebekah and I slept.

Of course the response was, "Great!"

For me, the answer is less from the fact that I'm now off the ground (I mean, now I have to worry about falling out of bed, right), which isn't really a big deal to me, and more in the fact that my sons are fine young men.

Nothing makes a parent sleep easier at night than knowing she's sent some pretty good people out into the world.



No comments: