Friday, December 9, 2016

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Dec. 4 through Dec. Dec. 9

Here's an awesome thing: I made deadlines for the week by yesterday. That's always my goal, so I can spend Fridays with interviews and making briefs, but lately the goal has eluded me. Happy Friday!

Here's another awesome thing: Up until this week, my blog post with the most views was a link to a nineteenth century vampire story, The Vampire, by Jan Neruda. One of my story roundups has surpassed it,with 1244 views as of this morning. I'm not sure why this post received so many views, but here's the link: http://bryonyseries.blogspot.com/2016/11/story-round-up-features-in-herald-news_25.html.

The proof copy for Cornell Dyer and the Missing Tombstone arrived yesterday with random formatting errors and one cover error. So one of my projects for this weekend (among my weekend editor duties and working on Before the Blood) is to read through the book and note them.

Onto the real work:

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at the link below. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/ Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

I also have a list of Santa Sightings in the Joliet area at https://goo.gl/Hq06Hr.

Also, a few weeks ago, The Herald-News began a weekly Mystery Diner feature, a goal of mine that was finally approved. I'll catch up on the links this Monday and begin posting these with the regular roundup.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. And of course, I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries.

FYI: videos have not been attaching to stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.


Channahon couple decorates for cancer research (VIDEO EXTRA)
Kris and Kristen Koppers light up their homes and the lives of others

“Last year, we gave out jingle bells from his sleigh,” Kristen said. “This year, we’re not sure what we’re doing, but we will have hot chocolate again.”



An Extraordinary Life: Single mother of four inspired new hot dog venue in Joliet
Jeff Reid recently opened Jerrie’s Dogs & Fries in memory of his mother

Of course, the signature hot dog is the Jerrie dog, prepared the way Jerrie liked her hot dog – topped with mustard, tomato, relish, pickle, cucumber, sport peppers and celery salt.



Pets of the Week: Dec. 5

The Herald-News presents this week's Pets of the Week. Click on the caption of each photo to find out about that pet, including where he or she can be adopted.



New Lenox church offers a drive-thru Living Nativity
United Methodist Church offers dramatic retelling of Jesus’ birth

“One of the nice things about this event is it’s calm,” Beth Darin, co-coordinator, said. “You drive through and listen to the story in this beautiful setting. It tells the story on a non-intrusive level and you get to enjoy it that way. ... You take away from it what you need to take away.”



Lincoln-Way Area Chorale performs at Carnegie Hall

Jackie Pletsch, a soprano, said the experience “took her breath away.”

“I started to cry and then thought, ‘I can’t cry. I have to sing,’ ” Pletsch said.

No comments: