Friday, November 25, 2016

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Nov 20 through Nov.25

Except for Pets of the Week, which I still have to complete this weekend, I met every deadline on Wednesday, although I felt a bit challenged toward the end.

At 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, Faith woke me up crying, crying, crying. I jumped up, thinking I had overslept, and she was in hunger distress. False for both, which meant I never really slept after that. Coffee and motivation saved the day!

Yesterday, a serene, enjoyable day that began with Divine Liturgy and then moved onto some writing time, walk time, a great traditional dinner (well, traditional for usL poor boys, kettle cooked chips, and pumpkin pie), and board games until we could play no more! :)

Except for lunch with a friend, and maybe trying on new glasses, today and tomorrow are dedicated to fiction writing and marketing.

Here's this week's work summary:

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at the link below. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/ Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

I also put together an extra calendar, a listing of area craft fairs for 2016: http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/09/13/area-craft-events/aei3pml/

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. However, I won't be posting on that account (except for this blog) until Monday.

FYI: videos have not been attaching to stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.



Talking turkey with Channahon bow and arrow hunter (VIDEO EXTRA)

Mesothelioma can’t keep Jim Pangrazio from pursuing his favorite sport

Hunting turkey is tricky, especially with a bow and arrow. Turkeys have “exceptionally good eyesight.”

“Any movement and they’re gone,” Pangrazio said.



An Extraordinary Life: Joliet woman shared her artistry with others (VIDEO EXTRA)
JoAnne Ford-Mackay played accordion, sketched movie stars and made people happy

"We had a little routine,” Art macaky, her husband, said. “I would go up to one of the ladies, kneel down and sing, ‘Let Me Call You Sweetheart.’ She’d come back of me, pull me by the ear and say, ‘Don’t you dare play for those ladies!’"



Elwood man thankful for the prayers he believes kept him alive
Instead of dying from melanoma, Jack Schultz is living with it

Schultz said his family prayed for him. One relative brought Schultz several relics from various saints. Schultz, a Catholic who had not attended Mass in years, began attending.

“I didn’t go back to say, ‘Save me,’ or, ‘Cure me,’ ” Schultz said. “I went back to say, ‘When it’s my time, forgive me and take me into heaven.’ ”



Joliet designer's home featured in new book on Christmas design (VIDEO EXTRA)
Stephanie Tuliglowski’s Joliet home is featured in new book of holiday ideas

A designer for 25 years and a faux finish artist for 30, Tuliglowski said Patricia McMillan contacted her two years ago and asked if she would like to be featured in one of the chapters.


No comments: