Tuesday, December 13, 2016

"A Little At A Time"

When my oldest son Christopher (age thirty-four) was in first grade, "A Little at a Time" was one of his favorite library books (selected by him).

https://www.amazon.com/Little-at-Time-David-Adler/dp/0823417395

With a packed, upside down and inside out weekend, I had little time for anything Before The Blood related, except to read through the previous week's work and tweak some descriptions.

It's a funny thing.

When I get to the end of a long writing period, such as I have on Saturdays, and even looking back at the weekly, early morning snippets, I always feel as if I could have, should have, wished I had time for, more.

Until I read it back in one sitting.

These bits and pieces patched and pasted add up. We talk about growth bursts, and sometimes we do get that burst of creativity and ideas with pages of fantastic prose pouring out of us.

But mostly, the structure of a good story happens bit by bit, a little at a time.

Slow, if it's steady, really does win the race.

No comments: