Tuesday, February 6, 2024

For the Love of Addy

My granddaughter Addy was recently selling Girl Scout cookies, as I did as a child and as my daughter Sarah did as a child.

Now, I don't recall any actual experiences of selling Girl Scout cookies as a child. I just vaguely remember that I did.

Sarah sold Girl Scout cookies for three years in a row. Her last selling experience was quite adventurous and the type of story for another post. 

But Sarah's goal during that final year was to earn the money to attend Girl Scout camp, which she did.

She spent a week at a week at the former Camp Pokanoka in Ottawa, Illinois, where I also spent a week the year I turned eleven and where I learned to swim. She later spent a second week with just her Girl Scout troop.

Now Addy's goal was to sell one hundred boxes. To help her out, Rebekah and I bought five. Yes, in a family rife with diabetes, fatty livers, and weight issues, we bought five boxes of Girl Scout cookies. 

But Addy made her goal. That is what's most important to us. I think all people, including and maybe especially, children, should have plenty of people in their lives who love and support their efforts and help them reach their goals.

Besides, I have lots of grandchildren. And Grandmas should always have cookies on hand, correct?

Happy Tuesday!





No comments: