Tuesday, June 28, 2022

The 25-Minute Cup of Coffee, Insomnia, and Faith

On a bleary Monday morning (yesterday), I stumbled down the stairs earlier than usual (to get ahead of a busy week) to make a cup of coffee.

Well, the Keurig handle jammed, ruining the pod. I removed the pod, tried again, and ruined another pod.

Fine.

I grabbed a third and headed next do to my son's house to make finally make that cup of coffee. 

Now I always joke how I need directions for a can opener. And Timothy's Keurig is very different from mine. So it took my foggy brain a few minutes to remember how this one worked. And then it took a few minutes more for the Keurig to decide to work (meaning: it needed time to warm up).

The entire process, from first stumble to sucessful cup of coffee, took twenty-five minutes. Instead of gaining time, I lost it.

Chalk it up, right?

Tonight is a later-than-usual work night for me due to me helping out on the news side so others on our team can cover election results. 

Last night was also, unfortunately, the night Faith, my calico with cancer, had to fast for her tests today.

Timothy and Daniel graciously took her to the animal hospital, which is an hour away. They were told to plan to stay all day.

So I got up at 2:30 this morning to take Faith's food away. 

Now Faith finds her security in habit. She sleeps by day, eats and drinks mostly by night, and does everything exactly the same way every day. You can imagine how she felt when the food went away.

So I was strategic. The FOOD went away; her bowl remained. 

Faith was chilling at the end of my bed and didn't realize right away her food was gone.

But the middle-of-the-night task kept me awake.

I was on edge, waiting for Faith's panic.

I thought of how tired I'd be on Tuesday, working a long shift.

I was irritated at being awake - and did I leave any kiblets on the floor?

So I leaped out of bed, made sure all rogue kiblets were off the carpet, and once again tried to will myself back to asleep.

I failed.

And then I didn't.

At some point, the alarm went off and I hit snooze.

When I woke up, late, I realized I hadn't hit snooze. I'd shut off the alarm, and I was late.

By now Faith was roaming all three floors of the house looking for food.

I made coffee, successfully, with my own Keurig, signed onto the computer to check email, and what do I hear?

Crunch, crunch, crunch.

Yep, Faith found a few stray kiblets on the rug.

I flew out of the chair and picked up the last little, half-mushy kiblet in front of her. Oh, the look on her face!

Her food bowl was empty, but I didn't want her to think in her little cat mind that I was the taker-away of the food.

I put the kiblet back in front of her.

Wish her luck today with her oncology testing, please.








No comments: