Tuesday, August 3, 2021

A Trio of Kologne Kiddles - Never Opened

Years ago, my sister posted a picture of all nine Kologne Kiddles that someone was selling on eBay for $1,200.

Of course, neither one could afford to buy them, not even halvsies. Nor would we justify that amount when we were in the thick of raising children.

But she and I loved Kiddles when we werwe growing up. We were heartbroken when her Apple Blosson disappeared and, even as kids, we did the whole, "she's got to be here somewhere" routine from time to time and spent entire afternoons rummaging through our possessions looking for the missing doll.

The Kiddles never left the house. So it made no sense that Apple Blossom was gone.

My sister also had Sweet Pea, which I now have, too, thanks to Rebekah gifting one to me. I had Lily of the Valley and Violet. We both had Honeysuckle, the first Kolgone Kiddle for both of us in our Christmas stockings more than fifty years ago.

Now I always wanted Rosebud. Our friend had Rosebud. But I never did. And right before the pandemic, Rebekah suprised me with Rosebud, the first Kiddle she bought for me.

Then ffor my sixtieth birthday, Timothy, Rebekah, and Daniel surprised me with an unopened box of THREE Kiddles: Honeysuckle, Rosebud, and the missing Apple Blossom.

And I apologize for the photo being so poor. I snapped it right after I opened the gift. But we are moving in a few days, so the dolls are already packed, and I can't take another.

Now here's my dilemna.

The fun of Kiddles is holding them, smelling them (I can still remember their scents), and PLAYING with them.

Of course, I have no idea what Kologne Kiddles that are nearly sixty years old smells like, if anything.

However, the momentary value of these little dolls will rapidly decline the second I open that box.

And since three of my kids pooled their money for this gift, this box of Kiddles wasn't cheap.

I'll probably leave them in the box.

And see if the kids will buy me some that are out of the box already.

What do you think?






No comments: