Wednesday, March 10, 2021

All The Purple Roses I Have Known

The theme of purple roses is first introduced in my first novel, Bryony.

The room, although not very large, felt warm and comfortable, with its wine-hued carpeting and wallpaper, overflowing bookshelves, and rich mahogany furniture. Several desks sat at the east end of the room. One held a heavy, black, silver, oddly shaped typewriter, very different from her mother’s slim, beige, electric machine. Vases of fragrant, purple roses filled the room. Fully awake now, Melissa rested her head on the back of the settee and blinked in surprise.

My my oldest daughter Sarah was the first to receive a purple rose, a "fake" one from her stepson Nick. And her husband has given her purple roses, too.

My first one came from Sarah. She had died rose petals purple, dried them (because that has meaning in the story, too) and sent them to me. They should be packed, somewhere, in my BryonySeries files from my old office in Channahon - I hope.

Here are some of my other gifts of purple roses, left to right, top to borrom: a birthday cake Jasmine made, a random Mother's Day gift someone at Louis Joliet Mass placed in my hand, flowers from Timothy, a Mother's Day gift from Jasmine, a Christmas gift from Cindy, a homemade cake from Rebekah, and flowers from Rebekah.

Like other flowers, roses have meanings ascribed to them, based on their colors. Purple roses, in case you're curious, symbolize "enchantment."




2 comments:

Karin Kendzora said...

I have given purple Rose's to my granddaughter for every special occasion from her Baptism to the birth of her son,, I think they are called Lavon roses

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

That's a lovely tradition. What made you choose purple?