Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Where There's Smoke, There's Fire?

 I don't know if it's journalistic instinct or the fact my in-laws had a scanner in their house and chased fires, but I'm pretty quick to act if I see something off.

That "off" this morning was thick black smoke in the distance when I paused at my bedroom window to admire the sunrise.

So I put my oversized slip-ons over my broken toe, slid my coat on over my flannels, grabbed a mask and press pass, and headed out into the tall snow. I got as far as I could get on foot, took some photos just in case, and then plodded back to the house.

Did you know how cold ankles can get without socks in this weather? Brrr....just saying.

By now, one of my sons (Timothy) were awake, so we drove in the direction of a nearby hospital. Lots of smoke, which was already diminishing. Furnaces, perhaps?

At any rate, Timothy turned to me and said, "Coffee?"

To which I replied, "I have coffee at my computer."

But he wanted to treat everybody. So I texted Daniel not to leave for work yet as Timothy had coffee for him (Daniel leaves early to stop for coffee).

And we brought back tea for Rebekah.

So I'm a little behind this morning, but I got outside (my first baby walk since we had all this snow), spent a little quality time with one of my sons, and wound up with a nice Americano to boot (well, no boots, Slip-ons).

Mostly, I was glad to know buildings and people were safe.

Nothing was reduced to ashes on a day people are observing Ash Wednesday.

Stay warm, stay safe, be blessed.




4 comments:

Karin Kendzora said...

Checking out the smoke was a good idea, you might have saved a life by being observant, fortunately it wasn't the case this morning, but you just never know until you check

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

That's what I thought, too. I lost a little time in my morning but nothing compared to someone losing a life.

Anonymous said...

bleh bleh

Liam Santos said...

Hello nnice post