Saturday, August 29, 2020

Just Two Days Left of the At-Home Writing Retreat

So am I meeting my goals?


All the even chapters of The Phoenix or fifteen chapters. DONE. Rough first drafts for most of them, some better than that. Super tired by 8:30 p.m. last night and almost decided "good enough." But I put on a cup of coffee (something new Rebekah bought), settled down at the desk with Faith (my calico cat) on my lap, and finished the last chapter.

Then I skimmed through the entire novel, making sure the pieces connected and adding details where they didn't. I'm glad this morning I didn't cave last night. This was the main project, and the sense of accomplishment is huge.

Finish formatting Lycanthropic Summer. Projected release date is Oct. 1. Texted back and forth with the artist for this late last night (yes, as I was skimming through The Phoenix). Illustration looks stunning. Cover art is about halfway done.

We also have a companion book in the early planning stages to be released with this one. But I'm not sharing details for now.

Finish the last two chapters of Cornell Dyer and the Old Folks Home and copy edit it. Tomorrow.

Finish formatting WriteOn Joliet's fourth anthology. Today

Get the content Rebekah needs for a new website. Today or tomorrow.

Get Rebekah the photos she needs for the new Bertrand the Mouse book. The goal is three a year, and I should now make that goal in time for Christmas purchases. The planning is either done or in progress (depending on the book). Rebekah is working on it.

Bonus: Jotted down some very early ideas for The Emporium Orphans because so many good ideas pop into my head while I'm trying to go to sleep, so I sleep with pen and paper. 

Also, while The Emporium Orphans sounds like a very strange title for a book, those who've read Staked! might not think so. That book (most likely) is a couple years down the road, but who knows?

And while the scribblings in the photos don't seem like much, they're actually placeholders for my thoughts, so a good first outlining is mentally in progress.

I hope Ed Calkins is meeting his goals for Ruthless. Can't wait to read it!


No comments: