Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Gone

Back in the "good old days? people sometimes stayed glued to their house for hours at a time if they were expecting a phone call they could not miss.

The ease of virtual communication has erased that. Now we panic if you lose our phones. 

This is not a rant against social media, etc. I love smartphones, and I love social media. I love the ease of convenient communication. 

This morning, I've already answered emails, confident of return replies when the other people are available.

"When they are available." That's the key.

Ease of communication should never translate into 24/7 availability. We should always have off-radar time, the degree of which depends on our nature and how much we need.

Despite negative reports, social media is a tool that can foster connection. But as the ease of communication increases, we should become fierce in protecting the times we don't wish to be "on."

For me, micro bursts of it during the day keep me focused and productive. Larger bursts during the weekend and "days off" rests and rejuvenates me.

Unconvinced? Here's someone else who tried it - and liked it.



No comments: