Friday, September 9, 2016

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Sept. 4 through Sept. 9

Talk about hitting the ground running!

Two Fridays ago, while still at Sarah's home in Raleigh, I started catching up on email and really haven't slowed down. Except for a surprise invitation to a birthday party on Friday night, Divine Liturgy on Sunday, and my daily power walks, I worked all of last week, the entire weekend, and this past week, too. So today is my holiday day.

My duties are The Herald-News are being shifted slightly, so I will be writing less feature covers, but more features, possibly, for the news side. I'll also start video training next week, but more on the reason for that later.

If you read only one story in the short list below, I suggest the piece on the living kidney donors. I've written several stories (links in the story) on a Joliet man who needs a kidney and shared the donation process by telling the stories of three people who did. One story is especially unique because one young man has gone through it all: he donated at age 21, went into kidney failure, received a transplant, and then had the kidney removed due to reject.

So now that I have some time off, what will I be doing? Today, it's fiction and a movie the kids want to see. If possible, I'll be visiting a friend in hospice either today or tomorrow and shooting video for an especially heartbreaking story I'm working on. I'm going out to dinner tomorrow night. Divine Liturgy on Sunday out to dinner in the afternoon, and then work.

And here's the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at the link below. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/ Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61.

And if you do peek at these stories, to quote our editor Kate Schott, "Thank you for reading The Herald-News." :)

Okay! Now for the stories. :)


Joliet area donors encourage living kidney donations (VIDEO EXTRA)

Three living kidney donors share their experiences

"I have grown in faith in the Lord and have put these issues in his hands," Martin Peto said. "As a man, I'm used to being proactive and not reactive, which is silly because it's the Lord controlling everything. It's a huge, life-changing experience, especially when you're facing a type of treatment you need to stay alive."



AN EXTRAORDINARY LIFE: : Minooka man strove to give his children and grandchildren a better life 
Quietly and without fanfare, Minooka man attained the American dream

“My dad was the life of every party, without ever having to say a word,” Ken Dryier Jr. said in an email. “He made sure your plate was always full, and your glass was never empty.”



Joliet Junior College gallery director hosts retirement art exhibition (VIDEO EXTRA)
Joe Milosevich's retirement art exhibition connects a lifetime of interests

"Most people would call this 'found object sculpture,' but I like the term 'collected' as opposed to 'found,'" Joe Milosevich said. "I do find things randomly, but it's a collection at the same time."



Plainfield man stars in rock musical about racing in Chicago
Rock musical combines love and racing in a 1965 setting

“It’s one of those shows that keeps going. It never slows down.” Selefski said. “It’s high energy and it has its raunchy moments. It’s not for children, that’s for sure.”



No comments: