Tuesday, September 4, 2012

That's My Plot Line, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

There's nothing more scary to writers (well, at least to this writer) than to watch a movie or read a book and see your unique plot line unfold in someone else's work.

That almost happened to me yesterday.

Because it was a holiday and because I was (almost) caught up with work, Bryony's assistant online administrator Rebekah Baran and I happily engaged in a fifteen episode marathon of Once Upon Time over a thirty-six hour period.

For those unfamiliar with the premise, Once Upon a Time is the story of bail bonds collector Emma Swan who spontaneously goes to Storybooke, Maine, when Henry, the child she gave up for adoption years ago, appears at her door with a book of fairy tales that he claims represents everyone in Storybooke. Henry's adopted mother, Storybooke's mayor, is really Snow White's evil stepmother, who is holding the characters hostage with a curse in order to "get back" at Snow White and Prince Charming. Only Snow and Charming's daughter, who escaped the curse soon after birth by being hidden in a magic tree, can break the curse. Emma is that daughter.

Bryony's online administrator Sarah Stegall had turned us onto the show back in the fall, but when the fresh and fun storylines turned stale and unpredictable, Rebekah and I abandoned the show...until Rebekah learned it had been renewed for another season.

I was incredulous. "How?"

Rebekah was nonchalant. "Sarah said it got better."

Of course, I was intrigued. We knew what we must do to gear up for fall. So we did. As the television mesmerized us, a very familiar plot twist took shape, and my blood really did run cold. I couldn't believe it. All my hard work on a part of the BryonySeries not yet published was about to appear before my eyes. I did what any normal writer might do under the circumstances. I panicked and texted Sarah.

Me: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Sarah: ?

Me: Once Upon a Time...That BLANK storyline HAD BETTER NOT resemble BLANK! Please tell me there's no resemblence. PULEEZ!

Sarah: Watch.

Me: You're evil.

Hyperventilating all the way, I did watch, and the watching brought blessed relief. No, the twist did not go where I had anticipated (WHEW!!!), but I did learn a valuable lesson.

There really is nothing new under the sun, and there are very few story angles that are truly original. It's up to us, the writers, to find that hook, that revolutionary approach, and the innovated resolution, to recreate a fictional universe in a way that enthralls the reader.

Challenge: I accept thee!

 

No comments: