Thursday, September 13, 2012

Balm for a Broken Heart

Last night I interviewed three people for two Herald News stories that, on the surface, sound like gloomy topics: a fundraiser for Joliet Area Community Hospice and my An Extraordinary Life column.

Certainly, I was in the mood for "gloomy." As a family, we'ved move through crisis after crisis the last couple of years, and as we're speeding into the thick of it, the number of trials we must meet is increasing, and that's no suprise. We're not complaining.

Several good friends are experiencing their share of sorrows and challenges, too, and we try to uphold each other the best we can, although, with struggling through the muck of my own dilemnas, I find myself often blundering through the consolation process. Such, I guess, is life, at least, for now.

Anyway, my oldest son Timothy accompanied me to a local restaurant for the meeting. I had given him an overview of what to expect. He and I anticipated sadness; we left still glowing from these people's upbeat enthusiasm for life.

Although tragedy spurred both of these stories, for without two deaths there would be no stories, it could not claim or control it. I'm not denying no one didn't momentarily choke up, but the overall message these three people delivered, the motto that steers their lives, is live each moment you're alive.

No, that wasn't a lightening flash of a new idea. Yes, as a family, our twisted sense of humor gets us past some rather grim times. Nevertheless, while we're thrashing about our own death throes, the opportunity to bask in the presence of three people who "get it" and most importantly "live it" refreshed us beyond words.

Looking forward to posting links to both stories after their publication.


 

No comments: