Friday, June 15, 2012

"Snow White and Rose Red"

Yes, it's a Grimm Brothers fairy tale. It's not quite as well-known as other popular tales, such as "Hansel and Gretel," "The Bremen Town Musicians," or "Rapunzel," but it is one of my favorites, nevertheless.

I remember when I first read it, in a book of fairy tales from the library. It was the day after Christmas, and I remember this because it was our traditional day to visit the eye doctor (in fact, we as a family, still belong to the same practice, except now our ophthalmologist is now the son of our former doctor).

At any rate, it was a busy practice, and we could anticipate spending several hours there, from waiting, to dilation, to exam, to the eye glass shop, so my sister and I were certain to bring plenty of reading material.

Not sure why, but this story mesmerized me to the point that I wished I had been born Rose Red! Perhaps a combination of elements were attractive: the mysterious, potentially dangerous, stranger; the dark, snowy night; the magic and secret lurking underneath the exterior; and the scary, demon-like dwarf.

So, for those who have not read it, I bring you "Snow White and Rose Red." For those of you have, happy reminiscing!

http://www.authorama.com/grimms-fairy-tales-63.html

No comments: