Friday, June 8, 2012

"Three Days to See," by Helen Keller

When Daniel and I read this piece the other day, it prompted a discussion of, if we could only keep one of our five senses, which one would it be?

Although I would hate to lose the others, for me, I would retain sight. With sight, I could see the people I love, not just their faces, but all the nuaces of emotional expression, which loss of sight would blunt, and communicate with them by written word.

Telephone interviews would disappear, but I've done the same via email (for people who need flexible schedules, or, in the case of one man who'd lost his larynx to cancer, were unable to speak). Either way, I think many of us undervalue the blessing of the sensory experience.

Last night at the Three Rivers Arts Council's WriteOn writer's group, we talked about the importance of awakening those senses in our writings. It's an awesome thing to induce mental images, scents, tastes, sounds, and touches through printed words only.

In the selection below, Helen Keller, blind, deaf, and mute from the age of nineteen months, shares how she would use her gift if fate granted her the ability to see for just three days.

www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/33jan/keller.htm

No comments: