Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Businesss Brains Behind the Bryony Brand, Part 2

The second part of the interview with Dulcinea Hawksworth, Bryony's director of marketing.

4) In what types of outreach projects have you participated?

“I created and designed a CD of original music by local artists, Voices, to benefit victims of domestic violence and their children. I developed an outreach program for teens and went into the high schools and talked about the warning signs of domestic violence. A lot of teens start dating at fourteen and fifteen, so it’s too late if we wait until their twenties to start talking about things like dating/domestic violence; the cycle is already established. I’ve organized events and produced plays for V-day. I’ve also been involved with the Y-Me national breast cancer organization.”

5) How do you decide when to provide marketing services for an artist?

“Artists are typically not very good at marketing, but people who are willing to keep art alive hold a very special place in my heart. I like projects that have creative integrity, and I like working with open-minded individuals who are willing to think creatively when it comes to their business and are willing to actually pay attention when I answer their questions. Learning Marketing 101 the first time around is very cost effective. It only gets out of hand [for clients] when I have to repeat myself."

6) Please tell us about your own artistic ventures.

“I love anything tactile; I love the texture of art, which is why I like sculpting. I can sit down and watch a movie with a big glob of clay in front of me and when I’m done it’s a tree or something else I love. I make jewelry; I keep a journal and jot down things as they come; and I like to paint, although I don’t think I’m a very good painter- I get a lot in my hair and other random places.

No comments: