Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Turtle Burgers

Over the weekend, my two daughters posted pictures on Facebook of the turtle burgers they had prepared, and it got me thinking.

My youngest daughter, Rebekah Baran, Bryony's online assistant, is spending a few weeks with her older sister, Sarah Stegall, Bryony's online administrator, who is a a highly adventurous cook and eater (Rebekah is not).

So when I saw "turtle burgers," I naturally thought they had cooked burgers made from turtle meat, and I could just imagine Rebekah's reaction. When I saw from the photos how tasty they looked, I became obsessed with having turtle burgers for dinner.

Last night, my two youngest sons, chef-in-training Timothy Baran and Daniel Baran, prepared a large batch. Warning: these are large, so it's genereally impossible to eat an entire one (Timothy and I split a burger). My oldest son, Christopher Baran of Channahon Computer Repair (www.channahonpcrepair.com), however, at two.

The recipe is below. Pictures following later (if I can get one of the girls to post them).

Turtle Burgers:

5 lbs of 75/25 hamburger
Bread crumbs (optional) for binding
2 pounds hot dogs
1 pound Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
1 pound bacon

Mix optional bread crumbs into meat and form hamburger into oval shapes. Top half of the ovals with cheese slices and cap with another oval; pinch to close. Make 4 holes in the corners for legs and 1 on each end for the head and tail. Slice hot dogs in half and the cut the tips to simulate toes; insert into corner holes. Slide hot dog slices into end holes for head and tail. Crisscross bacon strips on top of the hamburgers to resemble a turtle shell. Heat oven to 400 degrees and cook until meat thermometer reads 165.
Bon appetit!


No comments: