Monday, November 13, 2023

The Blessing of Social Media

More people seem to complain about social media than praise it.

But social media is really a communications, too. And like any good tool, its benefits depend on the people using it - and how they use it.

The outpouring of well wishes for my calico Faith were so numerous last week, I'll need most of this week to respond to them all.

The cheerful or funny comments to one positive "good morning" post can also take me a couple days to respond to them if I wind up with an extremely busy day.

But the great part about social media is that the responses will be waiting until I can get to them.

Look, I grew up at a time where one didn't leave home if you were expecting a phone call.

I grew up in a time that, if several people were expecting a phone call, you'd see a racing and jostling to that phone once it did ring.

We can talk to dozens of people at once simply by switching screens or pages.

You can stay connected to the world if you are ill and homebound.

You can find listening ears if you are grieving.

Where else can you receive multiple "happy birthdays" or an outpouring of "congratulations" when you have good news to share? Or a variety of suggestions when you have a problem to solve?

I personally have a favorite page with hilarious memes that I consistently follow, memes that never fail to elicit real laugh-out-loud- laughs.

Now I love in-person gatherings, too. And so do Uncle Barty and Bertrand the Mouse, pictured here visiting some mouse friends.

But I love social media, too.

Have a marvelous Monday!





No comments: