Monday, September 13, 2021

The Anatomy of an At-Home Writing Retreat

Since I've used zero vacation time all year and vacation time doessn't carry over inot the next calendar year, I've decided to schedule a couple at-home writing retreats.

The first begins shortly.

If this sounds like fun, please know it only "sounds like fun." I've done a few of these now (thank you, finances (2018) and COVID (2020 and 2021), and they are intense and grueling.

The goal is to turn my outlined, very rough draft of Call of the Siren into a solid working draft that I can shape, revise, and edit. I have my "homework" divided into sections for each day, to keep me on track.

Wish me lots of luck (I'm going to need it).

Here's what an at-home, writing retreat typically looks like for me:

Sunday night: OMG, I'm so I excited! A whole week of writing a world of make-believe. I've got coffee. I've got inspiration. Here we go!

Monday: Well, I didn't get quite as much done as I wanted. But I've got most of the week left. I can make up for it.

Tuesday: Mind roams, not as focused. Underestimated the amount of research I needed on "x" topic. Get pulled down a rabbit hole of one unrelated click after another. Forgot to post Bertrand on Instagram, so get distracted by that. Didn't meet goal. Don't care as much as I did yesterday.

Wednesday: I hate writing. I hate coffee. I hate fiction. This writing retreat is stupid. I need a vacation. I can't wait to go back to work.

Thursday: The time pressure is on. Sprint writing.

Friday: Marathon writing. Skimming over more details than I want. Will have plenty of extra work in the revision stages because of it.

Saturday: Becoming resigned that my goal was too lofty. Get a realistic amount of writing done and set some goals for Sunday and the following weekend.

Sunday: Distracted writing. Pushing the undone work to next weekend. Mind roaming to the features writing I'll be doing on Monday. Checking some work email.

Now this week will have some variations.

For instance, I have today off because I worked the weekend, so my actualy vacation time doesn't start until tomorrow. So I took next Wednesday off, too.

And I'm giving myself a break on Thursday because Rebekah is having surgery. So anything post-Thursday might look different, too.

One clarifcation: by "break," I meant break from Call of the Siren. I will have my laptop with me at the hospital finishing up Cornell Dyer and the Calcium-Deficient Bones.

Again, please wish me plenty of luck.



No comments: