Monday, July 5, 2021

Review: "Before The Blood: John Simons"

I'm a pretty low-key author as far as marketing and promotions go, and I have several reasons for that.

But every now and then, I get a sincere review.

Here is my first review on Goodreads for the first installment of Before The Blood.

And it's jsut my second review for the book, too (one is on Amazon), so it made me happy.

Here it is for you to enjoy today.

“It was amazing”

“I don't usually read in this genre, but I was intrigued by the premise of this book. It's the first novel in a five-novel prequel to another, three-novel series. 

“In Book I, which takes place in 1870s and 1880s, the reader is introduced to John Simons. He's got a pretty cushy life growing up, living in NYC and summering in CT, but his home life is strained. When he discovers his ability to play the piano and compose music, his life changes. 

“Through a series of plot twists and turns that kept me turning the pages, John leaves his life of wealth to live and work as a musician in poverty-stricken lower Manhattan. Another series of events and circumstances beyond his control results in John's life and livelihood bottoming out. 

“And then, out of nowhere on a fog-shrouded night when he is at his lowest, John is given an opportunity to achieve world-wide musical renown and riches. But it comes at a huge cost. 

“What intrigued me about the book is the question "As an artist, what would I give for success?" But I don't think it's a question only for artists; it's a question for everyone. 

“When I finished the last line and closed the book, I thought about the question, and my own answer/s, for a long time.






No comments: