Friday, September 11, 2020

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Sept. 5 through Sept. 11

So the proof copies for the next two books - Cornell Dyer and the Old Folks Home AND Lycanthropic Summer - are both due to arrive today.

Unless they come early, I'll probably pick at them over the next week or so, since I'm working this weekend.

And with that, I'm moving on. I've been up since before 4 a.m. and my mind is sluggish.

All brain cells are focusing on this complex question:

Should I open up The Phoenix and get to work?

Or should I take a nap?

Maybe a nap - after I make a couple phone calls.

Maybe.

Because part of me feels like working, at least in partial remembrance of how hard my family and I worked this day nineteen years ago.

My husband was getting ready for work, and I was talking on the phone with one of my editors when she said, "I have to go! A plane just hit the World Trade Center."

I told my husband, and he switched the TV station to the news. And while the newscasters thought they were giving a recap, Ron and I saw a second plane hit the towers in real time - just as the newscasters realized what was happening.

I was to work today in remembrance of those who woke up nineteen years ago and lost their lives, never to work again.

So there's that.

Below these ramblings are all the places you can find me.

After that, a roundup of my feature stories for this week.

Have a great Friday!


THE HERALD-NEWS

Feature stories: Weekly roundup at the bottom of this blog.

Non-bylined features: Search by topic (people, pets, A and E, faith, health, and food) at theherald-news.com. Once a week, I do combine a week's worth into a single blog post.

Daily updates: I do post the briefs on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61.


BRYONYSERIES

Websitebryonyseries.com

Social media: BryonySeries on Twitter @BryonySeries. and facebook.com/BryonySeries.

Follow the adventures of Bertrand the Mouse on Instagram at bertrand_bryonyseries.

Books: bryonyseries.com/copy-of-general-store




WRITERS

If you're a writer anywhere in the world, you're welcome to join WriteOn Joliet's Facebook pageWe're based in Joliet, Illinois, but we love to meet and interact with writers outside our area, too.

If you'd like to officially join WriteOn Joliet, we have two tiers of dues. We also have a marketing arm that's getting longer every year, well, except this year. Check us out at writeonjoliet.com.


NEWSLETTERS

Sign up for the Will County Go Guide

http://www.theherald-news.com/newsletter/will-county-go-guide/#//


Sign up for the LocalLit Short Story Newsletter

http://www.theherald-news.com/newsletter/locallit/


Sign up for The Munsonville Times

https://www.bryonyseries.com/munsonville-times


QUESTIONS

Email me at bryonyseries@gmail.com.


Thank you for reading The Herald-News. And for reading this blog. And if you've read (or plan to read) any of my books. Your support is greatly appreciated.


FEATURE STORIES:



Robotic surgery, water vapor therapy available locally for prostate conditions


This is what 'back-to-school' looks like during a coronavirus pandemic


LocalLit book spotlight: 'Brian Says: Quotes from a Restless Mind'


And the review:


Young Minooka mom determined to beat stage 4 breast cancer


Joliet-based treatment center has 24-hour helpline for people struggling with addictions, even during the coronavirus


Pets of the Week: Sept. 7


Corticosteroids to treat severe cases of COVID-19: 'It does confirm what we've been doing:' Local hospitals embrace what WHO calls an effective intervention


She lives in a nursing home - and has raised more than $10,000 for Relay for Life: Katie Meskimen doesn't let health issues interfere with helping others in need


New study shows association between vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 risk


The flight of 100 years makes a stop in Romeoville



Illustration by Matt Coundiff for "Visage"



No comments: