Tuesday, September 15, 2020

When Buried Treasure Comes to You

Worse Things Waiting by Manly Wade Wellman.

Hold that thought. Because I'm starting this post with a prologue.



PROLOGUE

I'm a reader, and I read A LOT.

I read print books, eBooks, online articles, and of course, I read for work.

I love to do research (thrill of the hunt, perhaps?) for Herald-News stories, my fiction, and for the fun of learning something new.

 As a child, I read the back of cereal boxes when I ate breakfast.

I write the books I want to read because no one else wrote them. And I'd rather make readers than sales, just so I can discuss the book with you (I envision retirement as one long book club).

One post a day on my BryonySeries Facebook page extols the love of reading.

And one post on my BryonySeries Twitter page always asks the same question: What are you reading tonight?

Although many people associate me with writing, I like reading even more, and, fiction-wise, I especially like books with a supernatural tone.

But that's a pretty wide theme. And I obviously don't like every book with that theme. In fact, I have a hard time finding books in that genre that really grab me.

So when I do, it's like finding buried treasure.

Unfortunately, treasures aren't always easily obtained. And sometimes, the treasure comes to me.

That's the point of this blog post.

MAIN STORY

One night, night a Twitter follower recommended a book for me: Worse Things Waiting by Manly Wade Wellman. I found an except online and loved it. I had to read more.

I decided to purchase the book the "e" format, because I am cheap.

But no "e" format was available. And the print was out of my very narrow budget.

I checked Abe Books and Thrift Books and other secondhand bookstores like them. Nope.

So I checked with libraries. Nope.

I checked with Janet Staley at The Book Market in Crest Hill, because I have found some great rare books there. Nope.

Yesterday, the book came to me.

My WriteOn Joliet co-leader Tom Hernandez emailed me yesterday morning asking if I was still working from home because he had a surprise for me.

Like me, Tom is an avid reader. He started a blog for WriteOn Joliet this year called "Writers Are Readers," and he stresses at nearly every twice monthly meeting of our adult critique group that to be a writer, one must be a reader.

He has a reading list for each season of the year. He has bookcases full of books. And so forth.

Quite honestly, when Tom messaged me, I thought he was bringing me a cup of coffee from Book and Bean Cafe, since he passes it to and from work-related meetings and I live in the general direction, and we aren't stopping at the cafe before WriteOn Joliet meetings because those have been online, thank you, COVID-19.

Of course, you have already guessed where this blog was going.

But I didn't.

I was REALLY surprised when Tom gave me the book. And because I was on deadline, I set the book out of sight, so I wouldn't be tempted to take even a bitty peek.

OK, I did take a peek. I'm off work today, so I'll be taking more than a peek. I. Cannot. Wait.

Now, isn't the first time Tom has surprised me with a book.

I have a character in my BryonySeries that fictionalizes a fictionalized version of himself. He's the world's first Irish vampire, because Ireland doesn't have a vampire mythology.

But then I DID find a book online, a collection of Irish vampire stories called Bloody Irish. I put it on my wish list.

And right around the holidays one year, Tom surprised me with the book. I had a couple days off, and I savored it.

It had some great "mood phrasings," for lack of better words, that I want to revisit and incorporate into my own fiction scribblings.



Another time, he picked me up a copy of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner forgetting I had bought an autographed version (with a bonus story, which my version from years ago did not have) from the author himself when he visited WriteOn Joliet last fall, back when the world was normal.



A few months ago, Tom surprised me with a copy of The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, which I haven't quite finished yet - only because it's a large volume, and I do most of my reading at bedtime - and I won't read scary stuff right before bed.




EPILOGUE

Yesterday, as Tom and I stood six-feet apart and masked, with me happily clutching my new book, I wondered aloud if maybe I have my wish list all wrong.

Instead of books, maybe I should be wishing for something more practical - like a Mercedes.

But a Mercedes won't take me where I really want to go.

And that's deep inside the imagination of the writer and his written word, where great stories are waiting.

Illustration by Kathleen Rose Van Pelt for "Bryony."






No comments: