Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Two Surprise Gifts This Past Weekend

This weekend, I received two surprise gifts from Timothy.

One is this very nice set of bluetooth headphones in my favorite color, although not quite my favorite shade. Still, the gleaming metallic makes up for it, and this photo doesn't quite reflect it.

My last pair broke earlier this week, so he sought out an upgrade.

In the meantime, Rebekah was very nice to keep lending me hers. I use the headphones as a hands-free device during interviews and other phone calls, but I can't imagine power walking without them, as music and walking go together for me.




The second gift was a surprise copy of this book. The author had attended the University of St. Francis in Joliet many, many years ago when it was the College of St. Francis.

Back when I still freelanced, the features editor at The Herald-News at the time asked me to interview her, as she had sent a review copy when the book was released.

I did, wound up reading the book, and then passed it onto Timothy because it was so good, and I thought he would enjoy it.

He initially thought, eh," flipped through it a bit and got hooked. He wound up talking with her and sharing how much he enjoyed it.

The book is about her life, dedication to the founder of one of China's foremost missile engineers Yao Tongbin (and how he was beaten to death outside their home by a mob) and an inside look at the Cultural Revolution.

An incredible book, one I plan to review for the LocalLit newsletter. But just try to get your hands on a copy. We lost ours in the move, and Timothy searched a long time for one at a reasonable cost.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I REALLY enjoy this blog! It's so unique and so different from everything out there.

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

Thank you for the kind words. You made my morning. :)