Monday, April 1, 2019

The Right Kind of Day

For the first time in a very long time, I came into Saturday with an entire day off, and I relished it, especially since I knew most of Sunday would be a working day.

I usually have a few hours of work on weekends, but this Sunday was different. I have a doctor's appointment today, so I had some of Monday's work to do, too.

But Sunday's work was followed by a thirty-seventh birthday celebration (and chilly cookout) for my oldest son at his house some forty-five minutes away. With all the health issues he's had, it felt great to celebrate his birthday with our still growing family.

So an entire Saturday to read and rest felt so appealing and enticing.

Then an opportunity for service arose, and I chose that type of Saturday instead.

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed to let the first Saturday go. But I since I try to live by this motto - "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good" (Galatians 6:10) - the first Saturday lost its appeal.

I'm reasonably certain another will "free" Saturday will roll around. Not next weekend, because I already have some interviews scheduled and I'll be working a fundraiser.

But another one. 

In God's time.

"Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke?" Isaiah 58:6




Illustration by Matt Coundiff for "Visage." Follow him at www.facebook.com/artbymattcoundiff 

No comments: