Monday, April 8, 2019

More Than a Story


Last week, a BryonySeries fan sent me this message:

I was reading a book - can't remember the name of it. The protagonist woke up in a mental institution after attempting suicide. She had a voice in her head. It started out so well for about 30 pages. And then this "demon" breaks out of the walls somewhere. Totally ruined it. I said to myself, "Denise would NEVER pull that crap."


Back in my homeschooling, and even before my children were old enough for formal education, I wanted to instill in them a love for reading, which can be as natural to me as breathing, perhaps more so, because asthma can interfere with natural breathing.

I have since learned that the type of books and stories we've read have forever influenced the books and stories they now choose to read, which is pretty awesome.

It's humbling to even dare to ponder the books and stories I write can do the same.

Have a great Monday, readers, writers, and vampire fans! :)


Illustration by Kathleen Rose Van Pelt for "Bryony."

No comments: