Saturday, July 16, 2016

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, June 11 through July 15


A crunched week, trying to make five days fit into four so I could take yesterday off

You see, the company that owns The Herald-News gives its employees a vacationd day on their birthday, or rather, emnployees may take a vacation day any day of the month of their birthday. And my supervisor graciously let me have today off. :)

If that's not wonderful enough, my second granddaughter was born today, so I spent a fair amount of the day in Morris. Her name is Riley Marie, which means she has my middle name, which was the name of my maternal grandmother, as well as that of my grandmother's first cousin, who was also my godmother. One of my nieces, to whom I am godmother, also has "Marie" for a middle name, so our family now has a new member to that club.

Check out Riley's cuteness at www.facebook.com/bryonyseries.

Afterwards, I visited Frances and Hope (two of my cats that are living in other homes for the time being). It's been over a year since I saw Hope, and many months since I saw Frances, so it was wonderful to see them.

Two of my sons then treated me to lunch, and then I responded to birthday greetings on Facebook (with more to go, because I try to answer each one personally), took a walk, and taught a writing class, which, by the way, is one of the high points of my month.

It's a rather unqiue class. It's small (by invitation only). The cost is a small donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties. And we have fun! We work on particular topics or take intense looks at writing samples. We encourage what's done well, share ideas for improvement, and offer tips for developing craft.

Today, it's a baby shower, writing and one BryonysSeries related project (I hope to both), and (possibly) taking a peek at the household budget.

And there you have it. :)

Check out the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at the link below. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/ Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61.

And if you do peek at these stories, to quote our editor Kate Schott, "Thank you for reading The Herald-News." :)


Events coordinator at Joliet Junior College says school is a community resource
Joliet Junior College offers plenty for the community to see and do

“People should come to see what JJC has to offer,” Susan Stockwell said. “I book the theater all the time for kids’ recitals. We have outside events – for motorcycle training and the police do some of their training outside. The softball field, we can rent out. We’re actually looking at getting a gazebo so we can do more outside events.”

http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/07/06/events-coordinator-at-joliet-junior-college-says-school-is-a-community-resource/arpsmo7/


Joliet woman was a behind-the-scenes giver  (VIDEO EXTRA)
Nancy Ferencik lived a life of love and prayer

Nancy gave of herself and her prayers – she even prayed for an end to cancer, Nicki said – until that loving heart suddenly gave out May 13. Nancy was 49.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/06/30/joliet-woman-was-a-behind-the-scenes-giver/atwcpgx/



Products for lymphedema available at Silver Cross Hospital in New Lenox
Mokena breast cancer survivor prevented lymphedema despite high risk

"The key is to be educated,” Siona Bitton said. “Someone can have lymphedema right after surgery and someone can go 20 years down the road and all of a sudden have symptoms. Some may not develop it. But it’s always good to know how to prevent it.”

http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/07/07/products-for-lymphedema-available-at-silver-cross-hospital-in-new-lenox/ay8ucx5/


Fifteen years on the streets helps Joliet homeless man bring others to God  (VIDEO EXTRA)
Homeless man depends on others, witnesses to the love of Jesus Christ

“I didn’t see it on the radar,” Sherwood said. “I prayed and asked God where I could better serve him and others. And it wasn’t long after that – with life situations – that I ended up on the street.”

http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/07/10/fifteen-years-on-the-streets-helps-joliet-homeless-man-bring-others-to-god/ayui4tr/


Four Joliet area churches hosting festivals featuring ethnic foods
Food, culture shared at four local churches’ picnics and festivals

“People can experience our tradition, see our church, eat our food,” Dorothy Michalarias said,

http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/07/01/four-joliet-area-churches-hosting-festivals-featuring-ethnic-foods/akagv5s/

No comments: