Sunday, April 10, 2011

Concepts in...um...uh...Communication

That was the name of my first Mass Communications class eons ago at the University of St. Francis in Joliet. I dreaded speeches and showed it by peppering them with the equally dreadful ums and uhs.

Decades of living behind a computer screen and controlling the interrogations haven't improved my fault either. It just doesn't show when I'm the one asking the questions.

Today, a USF student interviewed me about Bryony for a ten-minute audio documentary (Mass Comm class project) on vampires. Her questions were thorough and well-thought out. Neither were they too hard for me, but I definitely speak better with a keyboard than my mouth, especially when someone is holding a tape recorder before it.

The student, however, seemed pleased. The author is cringing because the young woman's professor is my former speech teacher. Thirty years is a long time, so it's a fair bet he doesn't remember me, which is good.

No matter how old you are (and I am old), there's always a part inside that wants to shout, "I'm better now!"

No comments: