Monday, March 21, 2011

It's a Luxury We Can't Afford

Obviously, Bryony will never reach the historical importance of the Declaration of Independence--not should it--but I'm finding parallels between the composition of the two that are giving me perception and contemplation.

Yes, I've hit a wall.

Although Bryony was a story in my head for decades, because of other distractions in my life--as Thomas Jefferson in 1776 had--it took much mental prodding to get a workable draft on paper.

Once done, my "declaration committee" (the family--even the ones that did not like me--and friends who read it first) rallied 'round the manuscript, thoroughly convinced others would feel the same ("It's a masterpiece, I say. They will cheer every word, every letter!").

Of course, I didn't feel the same way, but I submitted my draft to congress, gathered my rejections and, once accepted by a publishing house, made the suggested corrections, hoping the work would speak for itself.

When the process became grueling, I reminded myself these changes were coming from the people that championed the story. If that felt a little warm, how would criticism from Bryony's enemies feel?

Just as Bryony came into the home stretch, Edward Rutledge stood and said, "Just a moment, Mr. President."

And here we are.

The remaining concerns are few--they haven't the magnitude of slavery, granted--but they are huge. I could dig my heels into the ground, shout, wave my frustrated hands in the air, and give myself an attack of apoplexy. Instead, I have chosen to have a somewhat rational conversations with my editor, keeping in mind Mr. Jefferson objected, too.

All weekend, Benjamin Franklin was my conscientious voice of reason, "How dare you jeapordize our cause when we've come so far...I beg you to consider what you're doing."

It's no longer me and my manuscript. The "board of trustees" page on Bryony's website has grown. The choices I make with Bryony will affect more than me, and I am ultimately responsible for that. As a writer, I know stories come to print "half improvise, half compromise," but I'm getting a deeper experience of that now.

And that is not bad.

As my publisher, Cindy Grady, once said to me, "If writing a book was easy, everyone would have one."

Touche.

On the other hand, my publicist warned me not to remove a supporting wall and part of the foundation to accomodate an extra bedroom. The discernment here is which ooms in the house are absolutely necessary, and what, as Benjamin Franklin said, is luxury.

I think I know the answer to that. With gritted teeth and an attitude adjustment--for I truly want to be gracious and thankful--I have already rolled up my sleeves and begun to work.

No comments: